Hannah and Toby met in Summer 2018 at Floating Castle festival in Slovenia and it was clear that these two musicians shared a common approach to music-making and a real artistic chemistry.
Award-winning folk musician, dancer and composer Hannah James is complemented perfectly by the virtuoso cello of Toby Kuhn. Known for her work with **Lady Maisery, Maddy Prior, Sam Sweeney, Seasick Steve and Songs of Separation (with Eliza Carthy and Karina Polwart and more)**, Hannah is one of the key figures in the modern UK folk scene.
Rooted in the English Tradition but enriched by her collaborations all over Europe, her charismatic blend of accordion, vocal and clog dancing forged an instant artistic chemistry with impressive French cellist Toby Kuhn. Toby is a post-classical musician with a taste for improvisation and folk music of all persuasions.
Always on the lookout for new ways to play his instrument, his unorthodox approach has won admiration and acclaim from Japan to Canada, bringing the full potential of the cello with him on his journey across style and invention. Together, their music is soulful, original and conversational.
The combination of accordion and cello allows for a huge palette of sounds and textures which lift James’s pure voice and deeply honest songwriting. In the next breath they switch to choppy rhythms and joyful interplay between cello and percussive dance. This duo deliver a diverse, playful and hugely original performance.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, **there is limited in-person space for this event at the venue**. To ensure you have a space, please book in advance.
The cafe will be serving drinks and snacks. Card payment only.
For accessibility, travel and other info please visit here
For Covid safety info please visit here
**We ask that you:**
* Keep at least 1m (with additional precautions) and preferably 2m distance from anyone not from your household or support bubble
* Arrive on time - doors open 30 minutes before the event. Once the event has started we will not admit latecomers until there is a suitable break.
* Wait to be seated on arrival, keeping a distance from other parties
* Stay at your table and with your own party
* Not to come to this event if you have any symptoms of Covid-19, or you or somebody you live with are waiting on test results, or if you have been asked to self-isolate by the NHS track & trace system.
* Wear a face covering when not at your table, unless you are medically exempt.
|31 Oct 2021 - 15:30||1.5 hours||Free||Book Tickets|